Our network

Crews work to clear bus stops in Hampton

HRT has hired three contractors to clear bus stops, NewsChannel 3 has learned.

Crews started Tuesday and Wednesday on high priority bus stops, with about 10 to 15 trucks working.

A spokesperson for HRT says there are a lot of bus stops across the region, and crews are responding to the “busiest ones” first.

The City of Hampton is now sending its own crews out to clear bus stops, in hopes of having buses running again.

What provisions have been made for pedestrians who rely on bus service?

“There’s no question about it, it is an inconvenience,” says Tom Holden of HRT.

“The cities have worked very hard to clear the streets,” Holden says.

For more answers on HRT bus service, see the video above.

NewsChannel 3 will have more on this story today, starting First at Four.

Related Content:

Hampton police urge drivers to use caution on icy roads

Hampton, Va. – No weather related incidents or road closures have been reported in Hampton, according to Cpl. Shackelford.

Shackelford says the roads have been treated all night long. Portions of Mercury Blvd. have a light dusting on it. Secondary roads do have compact snow on them. All traffic signals are in working order.

Hampton police encourage those who have to travel to be mindful of the conditions, drive slowly, and make sure to keep plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

Power outage at Hampton University

Hampton, Va. – Several buildings on the Hampton University campus experienced power outages on Friday morning due to a car striking a power line, according to a Hampton University spokesperson.

Classes do not begin until Monday, January 13, 2014.

At this time, two buildings remain without power on campus.

Crews are making repairs.

Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.

UPDATE: Victims identified after double shooting at Hampton skate park

Hampton, Va. – Two people are now dead after a double shooting in Hampton occurred at a popular skate park on Mercury Blvd. and Woodland Road on New Year’s Eve.

Police say calls came in about the shooting at around 3:57 p.m.

When officers arrived on the scene, they found two men had been shot in the upper torso. One person was dead on the scene and the other was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. He was later pronounced dead at 4:46 p.m.

The victims have now been identified as Donivan K. Walker Jr., 21, and Kenneth J. Wilson, 20. Both men were from Hampton. 

Police say during their preliminary investigation, they found that Walker and Wilson were shot during an altercation. They say the suspect left the skate park and came back with a gun, shot the two men and left the scene.

18-year-old Tia Middleton says losing Walker, her boyfriend of two years, doesn’t feel real.

Williamsburg man arrested, charged in Walgreens robbery

Hampton, Va. – Police have arrested a Williamsburg man in connection with a Hampton business robbery that occurred on December 26, 2013.

Police received a call regarding a business robbery at the Walgreens store on West Mercury Boulevard.

Crews arrived and discovered that the suspect entered the business, displayed a firearm, and demanded prescription medication. Police say prior to obtaining any property, the suspect fled the business.

Responding officers saw a gold Buick sedan on North Armistead Avenue that was being driven by an individual that matched the suspect’s description.

A traffic stop was conducted, and the suspect was then taken into custody without incident.

Police arrested 40-year-old Robert Allen Carroll of Williamsburg.

Hampton Police Department gives holiday safety tips ‘Jingle Bell’ style

The Hampton Police Department is spreading a little holiday cheer and sharing a few tips to keep citizens safe this season.

To get the message out, they’ve come up with their own version of the always popular  “Jingle Bells” Check out the video!

Click here for more tips from the Hampton Police Department.

12-year-old Hampton student accused of making threat against Eaton Middle School

Hampton, Va. – A 12-year-old Eaton Middle School student was taken into custody on Wednesday after officials say the student made a threat against the school online.

Police were told about the incident on Wednesday, Dec. 11th at 8:40 a.m. by the school administration.

Administrators told police that the student placed the threat against the school on social media on December 10th overnight.

The 12-year-old was then arrested and charged with one count of making a threat to a middle school, which is a class 6 felony.

The student is now in the custody of the Newport News Secure Detention Facility.

Police say they conducted an investigation and considered the threat to be not credible. The student has not been back to the school since the alleged post and police say no one in the school was ever in any danger.

School officials say they made phone calls to all parents of students at the school.